Preparing Your House For Sale
How Will Buyers See Your Property?
It is important for a property to make the best possible impression on prospective buyers.
Details make the difference.
First Focus On Curb Appeal
Curb appeal is your first chance to entice buyers. Focusing your efforts on the front of your house will assist in grabbing buyer's attention. It's true that first impressions are lasting, so be sure that your house creates a strong first impression. They call it curb appeal for a reason!
Here are some suggestions to increase the curb appeal of your house:
- Mow, weed, trim and water your lawn regularly
- Paint our thoroughly was the exterior of your house
- Place a new welcome mat at the door
- Make sure you can read your house address numbers
- Was the windows so that are transparent
- Remove extra vehicles from the driveway
- Repair damaged screens and windows
- Sweep the walkway and driveway as needed
- Remove distracting lawn ornaments
- Clean up after your pets on a daily basis
- Repair any fence or gate
- Make sure your roof and gutter are in good shape
- Use plants and flowers to create an inviting and beautiful exterior
- Hang a new wreath on the front door
Create Neutral And Welcoming Living Areas
Your house may fulfill all the criteria potential buyers want for location, price, style and amenities, but it still needs to make an emotional connection. Inspire buyers by creating scenarios where they can picture themselves. To do so, create a neutral slate using subtle colors in your entryway, living room, family room and dining room: eliminate excess personal memorabilia: and engage all of the sense with soft music, a warm fire and fresh flowers.
Here are a few ideas to make your place say, "Welcome, You Are Home" to potential buyers:
- Ensure a clean, organized entryway for appeal
- Remove clutter such as stray newspapers and outdated magazines
- Paint walls a neutral color scheme
- Repair wall and ceiling cracks
- Scrub and wax or seal floors
- Make sure carpet is spotless and fresh smelling
- Wipe down all light fixtures so that each room sparkles
- Clean draperies and blinds
- Scale back family photos to a few tastefully framed pictures
- Rearrange furniture in the family room and living room for openness
- Eliminate pet and smoking odors
Highlight The Kitchen And The Bathrooms
Two key areas that buyers tend to focus on are the kitchen and the bathrooms. A clean kitchen sends a positive message. And a beautiful bathroom is compelling. Many buyers prefer to buy a house classified as "move-in condition," so make sure you repair leaky faucets, remove rust stains and fix sticky drawers.
Here's what you can do to impress potential buyers:
- Place seldom used small appliances in cupboards
- Wipe down insides of drawers and install dividers
- Make sure your mirrors and appliances shine
- Inspect the cabinets and clear the countertops
- Check for leaky faucets, and caulk sinks and tubs
- Lay an open cookbook on the counter
- In the bathroom, create a mini-spa with guest soaps, bath oils and thick towels
- Repair missing grout and tiles
- Deodorize garbage disposal, dishwasher and trash can
Focus On The Bedrooms, The Basement And The Backyard
Turn your attention to the rest of the house. Take a close look at the bedrooms, basement and the backyard. And remember to inspect the garage, shop and laundry room. These often overlooked areas can impress potential buyers, setting your house apart from the competition.
A clean house sends a positive message that you also took care of major items such as the roof and the furnace.
Here are a few items to pay special attention to:
- Vacuum under the beds
- Organize closets
- Place a scented candle on the nightstand, and fold a quilt at the end of the bed
- Put scented paper or sachets in closets
- Beautify your entertainment center by adding a few books, art and pottery
- Hang a picture in the laundry room
- Wipe down the washer, dryer, furnace, water softener and other appliances
- Put tools in bins in the garage or shop
- Refresh patios by powerwashing and give wood decks a boost
- Place lawn furniture and small tables in conversational groupings outside
A comparatively small investment in time, money and effort to remove these distractions can lead to strong offers from buyers. By making potential buyers feel welcome and comfortable, you can subtly influence their attitude toward your house...
I will advise you on the necessary steps to prepare your property to market.